Saturday, September 27, 2014

West Coast Swing Dance Social At The Polish Home: A Dance Review



So last night I went to a dance social that I swear to God I haven't been to in over 10 years!  I must have been 15 or so when I was last there, but I recognized the building as soon as I pulled into the parking lot.  It was the Polish Home in Windsor Locks, and the dance was Ken Mercik's West Coast Swing Night.





Many of you swing dancers out there have probably heard of this dance. It happens every Friday at the Polish Home in Windsor Locks, with a 7 p.m. beginner lesson and an 8 p.m. intermediate lesson.  The dance itself goes from 9-midnight, and the cost is $10 (with the beginner lesson included), with an additional $5 if you take the intermediate class.

Last night was kind of different from the norm because Mario Robau was the guest teacher for the evening (for a review of Robau's workshops, click here), but the dance afterwards was along the lines of what you would normally expect.  And it was a good time!

Dave and I went together, and we both left feeling happy that we had gone.  The atmosphere was very friendly and outgoing; I didn't have a single bad experience on the dance floor!  Everyone was nice and welcoming, from what I can tell, there were no dance snobs.  The music was good (I need to get some of those songs!), and I liked the fact that there was a cash bar right there.  The floor itself was a bit on the slippery side, but it's still a very nice, good-sized floor.

Dave and I had to leave early (Durham Fair today!!!), but overall we had an excellent time.  I would definitely go back again!  In fact, I am almost ready to designate this one with a red recommendation stamp!


I won't give this stamp immediately, however.  I think I'll follow the Third Date rule: if I still like the dance after my third visit, then I'll give it its well-earned stamp.  So one visit down, two more to go!

So if you find yourself with a Friday where you have nothing to do, try this dance!

For Ken Mercik's website, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Tell me your thoughts!