Tuesday, October 28, 2014

HCD Swing Jam: A Belated Dance Review

Sorry this is so late folks!  I've been trying to catch up on everything and I kept forgetting to write this review up!  Now that I'm stuck home with a slight cold, I have no excuse.



So, Dave and I had a busy Saturday.  After he came home from work, we headed on over to the American Legion Hall for the 4th Saturday Swing Jam!



Every 4th Saturday
American Legion Hall, 275 Main Street, Wethersfield, CT
7:15 p.m. lesson
8:15 p.m. open dance


This is one those times where I know I've been to this dance before, but it's been years.  The last time I went, I was still in high school.  So it was nice to have this opportunity to go this past Saturday.


The lesson was taught by HCD's Jane Dumont, who spent the hour teaching beginner hustle.  Dave and I arrived 15 minutes late but we jumped right in anyway to do the leader's part.
I have taken Jane's class before, and she has a teaching style that is very different from mine.  She is much more technical about foot placement, and her way of preventing death grips is considerably different from my own.  Despite our opposing styles, Jane is still very correct and enthusiastic in the footwork she teaches, so if you like to be exact in your footwork, Jane is the teacher for you!

The dance itself was also very enjoyable.  I didn't know there was a costume contest going on, and I wish I did; some of the costumes were very cool!  I would have loved to have participated.

(By the way, in case anyone was wondering what dance host Lisa's costume was supposed to be, it's a Japanese anime character called Totoro, created by a well-known anime director named Hayao Miyazaki, whose movies were frequently promoted by Disney.  They are wonderful films; Dave and I love to watch them.)

Totoro is the big guy on the left.  Very cute character.
Okay, I went off on a tangent there, but the dance itself was enjoyable.  Clearly, quite a number of people who go there having going there regularly for years!  It's a much smaller crowd than the First Friday Swing Dance, but it was just as much fun.  The music is run by a different DJ each month, and the music is a mix of swing, hustle, foxtrot, and maybe a cha cha or two, with swing being in the majority.  The shim shim and a song for a snowball mixer was also played, which is always fun.  The floor is also very nice, even more so now that it's been renovated.
Overall, Dave and I had a pleasant time while we were there.  Everyone's very friendly, and the atmosphere is quiet, but light.  I would say this is a perfect dance for meeting up with friends and having a good time.  If you liked the First Friday Swing dance, but would prefer something quieter, then this is a dance for you!

Dance away everyone!  Dance Away!
-Lisa Spiro

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Tell me your thoughts!