Monday, August 25, 2014

Welcome to Dance Away!



Welcome to Dance Away!  A site for ballroom dancers!!


My name is Lisa Marie Spiro, and I created this website with a simple goal in mind; to make ballroom dancing accessible to everyone.

I’ve been ballroom dancing for over 20 years.  It’s my passion and my life.  I love it so much that a few years ago I decided to make it my career as well, and became a ballroom dance teacher. 

In my experience as both dancer and teacher, finding information about dance events, classes and workshops is spotty and scattered everywhere, and websites that try to post everything are still limited in what they have, or their information isn't as updated.  Plus, it's hard to find good articles out there regarding ballroom dancing.


So, to combat these problems, I decided to start this website. 





Basically, this is a blog that contains everything about social dancing, from where to find classes and dance events, to articles discussing social dancing.   

On this site you’ll find:
  • A description of the different existing ballroom dances, with videos giving you a general idea of what they look like. --Ballroom Dancing 101
  • Event, class, and workshop information for dances not only in Connecticut, but in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New York as well. --Dance Events
  • Weekly and monthly posts announcing socials and classes. --Home Page
  • Weekly reviews of dance events and workshops that I’ve tried, with recommendations of the best places to go. --Dance Events and Home Page
  • Articles discussing various dance-related topics (ie, etiquette, benefits of dancing, etc.) --Ballroom Dancing 101
  • A page devoted to the studio where I work (Hartford Ballroom), with class and private lesson information, as well as information regarding our own events and socials. --Hartford Ballroom Dance Studio
  • Posts for our Hartford Ballroom students, listing the steps that were done in each level. --Home Page and Hartford Ballroom Dance Studio
  • A page about myself and my dancing family, with information on how to reach us for classes and private lessons. --About Lisa Spiro
To follow this site, look for a black sidebar on the right side of the page.  It will expand and you can click on the badge labeled "subscribe"; there you can follow either by e-mail subscription, or by Google+ (if you have a gmail account, then you have or can have Google+).



What The Post Icons Mean:


The Hartford Ballroom Logo: I use this picture for any posts related to the Hartford Ballroom Dance Studio, particularly posts regarding what was covered in the classes.







Monthly Dance Calender: I use this picture for my monthly calender of dance events, classes and workshops







Weekly Dance Calender: This picture is for my weekly posts of events










Special Events: This picture is for any special events and workshops that you must go to.







My Reviews: This picture marks any posts I have regarding events that I attended, and workshops/classes that I took.


This site is still new, so some areas look a little sparse.  But it will continue to grow, and it will be continuously updated at least once a week.   


Please also keep in mind that I can’t be completely objective about where to go, because I love the studio where I work, and I'm biased towards our events and classes.  But I am not so arrogant as to think that we’re the best and only place to go.  Therefore, you can expect me to be as fair and as honest as possible on this site.

I hope you’ll find this site useful, and I look forward to any comments or e-mails regarding how to improve this site, or what other events and articles I can add to it!


Enjoy everyone!  Dance away!

-Lisa Spiro, ballroom dance teacher, site creator

Facebook: Hartford Ballroom
E-mail: lisamarie@hartfordballroom.com or bastet630@gmail.com


2 comments:

  1. Hey Lisa - Just wanted to give you some feedback on last months Swing Basics class. Your new way of teaching turns in triple step was very very helpful to me. Until then I never could get it right. Great teaching innovation! It made a difference for me. Thanks!
    Will R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, thanks Will! I'm glad my tips helped! It was a bit of an experiment last month so it's great to hear that it was a success!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Tell me your thoughts!